Who knew there was a National Hot Buttered Rum Day? Okay, random (it’s today – Jan 17).
I mean, I guess why not put butter in a beverage? Butter makes everything better.
The traditional hot buttered rum – which dates back to colonial days – has a shitload of sugar and calories, so I had to do a little tweaking to get something close to what I felt like was the right flavor profile. The two key ingredients in most of the recipes I looked at were brown sugar and maple syrup, and this is mixed with dark spiced rum. All of these things are sky high in sugar content. So I cut the brown sugar out and substituted with an increased amount of sugar free maple syrup plus spices to get that spicy sweet flavor.
*A note about “sugar free maple syrup” – from a diabetic perspective, most of these aren’t that simple. To achieve the syrup-like consistency, most companies add carbs in the form of corn or gums… so while it is sugar free, it is not carb free. One tbsp of Choczero maple syrup (that I used in this recipe) had a whopping 16g carbs in it… but with 15g fiber, this nets us 1 carb so I’ve given it a pass. I noticed this is the case with some other brands, as well – so beware. (One brand that tastes great, works well in everything and has 0 carbs that I really like is Walden Farms Pancake Syrup – you can find this stuff at Sprouts, Whole Foods or online)
HOT BUTTERED RUM – 1 NET CARB
- 1 tbsp of butter – softened
- 1 tbsp stevia crystals (or sugar substitute of choice)
- 2 tbsp sugar free maple syrup*
- Dash ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves etc. (as you prefer, to taste)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz light rum
- 1 cup hot water
- Optional: Cinnamon stick and sugar free whipped cream (seem my recipe in previous posts)
- Warm butter until soft and combine with stevia, syrup, and vanilla extract in heavy mug.
- Add rum and mix well.
- Pour hot water over mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick or sugar free whipped cream. Enjoy right away.