Like an evening espresso, but spiked? This martini is just the right amount of sweet, with a smooth foam on top to mimic the crema of hot espresso. Be careful, these will go down fast.
This was my first time using an egg white in a beverage; this is a fairly popular method to enhance the body of a drink and add a foam on top. It seemed a little sketch, so I did a little bit of research first, and it is safe, as long as you use fresh eggs that have been kept refrigerated. If you feel comfortable, give it a try with this recipe – it really makes this drink in my opinion.
Salted Caramel Espresso Martini – 0 carbs
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 2.5 oz fresh espresso, cooled
- 0.5 oz sugarfree salted caramel syrup
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp cream (I used half & half)
- *Some folks like to include a cacao flavor (often captured by using Kahlua) – if you want this, suggest using unsweetened cocoa powder or a sugarfree chocolate syrup
- Pour espresso shots and chill
- Add all ingredients, including chilled espresso, in cocktail shaker WITHOUT ice and shake well to activate egg yolk
- Add ice to shaker and shake again to chill ingredients, then strain into martini glass (*suggest straining twice – once through shaker strainer, on top of a fine mesh strainer to ensure no leftover egg white that didn’t whip completely escapes into your glass)