When you wake up Thanksgiving morning and you’re feeling kinda sleepy and like you’d rather start your day off right than out there pounding pavement with those crazy 5K people… might I suggest instead starting your day snuggling up on your couch with an Apple Cider Mimosa that will barely touch your BG while watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade (or whatever they’re doing this year that is Covid friendly). That just sounds a lot… more relaxing, don’t you think?
According to Wine Folly, there are 5 categories of champagne that range from almost less than one carb per 5 oz (0.625 cups) serving, starting at “Brut Nature” & working your way up to Demi Sec (which is somewhere around ~8 carb per 5 oz serving). I had a hard time finding a reasonably priced champagne for any level under Brut, so I went with a Brut, which is still super low carb.
Also, I used Alpine Sugarfree Apple Cider mix again for this recipe (that has been my go-to for cider recipes). It actually tastes pretty legit, and if you want to give it a little kick, add a cinnamon stick while it’s cooling.
And, final sidenote: I tried using Stevia crystals (Truvia brand) mixed with spices to rim my glass, and I really thought it was just fine – literally tasted like a sugary mix to me. I like the taste of Stevia though, so you can modify as you see fit.
APPLE CIDER MIMOSA – 1 CARB
- 1/2 cup Champagne
- 1/3 cup sugarfree apple cider
- 2 tbsp stevia crystals + few shakes of pumpkin spices (I like Trader Joes pumpkin spice mix) to rim glass
- Apple slice to decorate if you’re feeling fancy
- Wet rim of glass using apple slice or a little bit of cider and
- Swirl rim of glass in mix of Stevia & pumpkin spice in shallow dish
- Pour champagne and cider into glass & mix well